Senior Network Engineer
Location: Recklinghausen, Germany
Senior Network Engineer
Equinix (Germany) GmbH, Frankfurt am Main
Feb 2016 – Present
- Redesign and implementation on EMEA BGP core Network. Replaced old Cisco based network with Juniper MX including development of Support tools for Switch and Customer provisioning, NOC Training and Documentation. Design and Implementation on new 14 IX deployments. Various small deployments of Nokia based MetroConnect Services. Development of tools for DNS Migration, Information gathering from network devices and large scale configuration changes. Integration and Expansion of Acquired Cloud Network based on Cisco. Automation of Capacity Planning decisions with implementation of Book of Standards API including Standard Devices and Network Design Information.
Juniper Networks GmbH, Wolfsburg
Jan 2015 – Mar 2016
- Resident Engineer for a car manufacturer. Focus on network troubleshooting and operations support along with network and configuration analysis. Services are based on Netscreen, Juniper SRX Firewalls, Juniper EX and Juniper Wireless.
- Skills: Juniper EX, MX, WLX, netScreen, JunOS Space, NMS
arvato Systems GmbH, Gütersloh
Jan 2014 – Aug 2014
- Design and Implementation of Network security platform for Large Medical PKI project including PCI DSS and ISO 27001 Compliance, this includes network interconnect with Highly Resistant security gateways Design based on Juniper SRX, Cisco devices, Genua Genugate and Genucrypt.
- Skills: Juniper SRX, EX, Genua Genugate, Genucrypt
Rhenus Assets & Services GmbH & Co. KG, Holzwickede
Nov 2012 – Dec 2013
- Creating an IPSec network design including IPv6 based on Juniper SRX with Juniper NSM, migration planning and execution. Migration of 250 Watchguard and 170 Cisco devices to Juniper SRX, connecting to business partners via IPSec (around 300, mixed Checkpoint, Astaro, Lancom and Drytek endpoints).
- Skills: Juniper SRX, JunOS Space, Cisco Catalyst, ASA, CheckPoint
EWE TEL, Oldenburg
Apr 2012 – Oct 2012
- Design of customer networks and migration of customers from SDH to VPLS-based services, deployed on Juniper MX-series as well support of systems used for broadband services based on Juniper ERX and E-series as LAC and LNS.
- Skills: Juniper MX, E, Cisco Catalyst, Cisco Router
rrbone UG (haftungsbeschraenkt), Dortmund
Mar 2012 – Apr 2014
- Full Service on Network Design, Implementation and Operation, 24x7 TAC/CERT-Service, Linux/Unix Administration, ENX Integration and Implementation.
- Skills: Juniper MX, Cisco Router, ASA, VMWare ESXi, NetScreen
networkers AG, Hagen
Nov 2010 – Mar 2012
- On-Call Support for various Network Issues, Design of Customer Networks with focus on WiFi Site Surveys, WiFi RF Planning and integration in new or existing customer LAN and WAN Networks, Implementation of Vendor and inhouse Monitoring Systems according to the needs of the Operations Team.
- Skills: Cisco Router, ASA, VMWare ESXi, NetScreen, Watchguard, Trend Micro, H3C
netarge communication GmbH, Rinteln
Aug 2010 – Nov 2010
- Design and Migration of the existing Backbone to a new Cisco-based MPLS Network with a focus on high-availability, Product Development for Hotspot Solutions.
- Skills: Cisco Router, Catalyst
Berufskolleg OstVest, Datteln
Jan 2010 – Jul 2010
- Design and Implementation of Networks and corresponding Monitoring Tools.
- Skills: HP Procurve
Wissenschaftsladen Dortmund e.V., Dortmund
Jan 2008 – Mar 2018
- Continuous support of free.de and other WiLa projects including a wide range of Linux and FreeBSD-based services, Support of the WiLa WiFi network spanning the City of Dortmund, Fiber-optic splicing and maintenance work.
- Skills: HP Procurve, H3C, FreeBSD, DHCP, DNS, Webhosting
Trainee qualified IT specialist
Westfleisch eG, Muenster
Aug 2007 – Dev 2009
- Design and Migration of a client network, based on HP and XORP Devices, development of Management Tools, Support of various Applications.
- Skills: Networking, End-User Support, Webapp Konfiguration
- Planning and Rollout of Juniper Devices, ranging from Firewalls, Switches to Routers.
- Design and Configuration of SRX devices with High Availability (JSRP, RETH Groups), IPv6 and other datacenters-specific features like Multicast and PKI
- Securing network access and Site-to-Site connections with Juniper SRX and Netscreen, managed via Juniper NSM.
- Migration of existing Juniper NSM setups to Junos Space to ensure alignment with Juniper’s product life-cycle.
- IPv6 LAN Rollout on EX-Switches including J-Series and MX-Series for WAN-Connectivity to other branch sites.
- Design for broadband networks (FTTx) running Juniper E-Series in PPP/DHCP-Hybrid mode. IPv6 rollout planning.
- Implementing Vendor-Management Software Juniper NSM and Junos Space to support the customer in their daily operation.
- Troubleshooting on Large +1000 AP Wireless Deployment
- Support of MPLS-Networks with multiple customer VPNs, utilizing the standard protocols such as IS-IS (multitopology), OSPFv2 and v3, and of course BGP-MP.
- Design and Implementation of LAN and Datacenter-Networks including FCoE transport for Storage Services. Working closely with the Customers Vendor on implementation and testing of NetApp Appliances.
- Design and Engineering tasks for multi-protocol networks (MPLS, IPv4, IPv6) with about 20-30 branch sites and redundant hub sites.
- Design and Configuration of PKI-based IPSec networks on Cisco ASA and IOS-devices with Juniper, Checkpoint and Watchguard branch routers.
- Full services for small and medium-sized businesses, including firewall and VPN configuration, switching, QoS, and VoIP solutions.
- Design and successful implementation of a cutting-edge VXlan-based IX platform with a capacity of over 1TB
- Conducted thorough testing to validate the functionality and stability of the upgraded devices, identifying and resolving any issues that arose during the process.
- Design and Implementation of HP Campus-Networks including 802.1X based on ProCurve and H3C Software
- Design and Engineering tasks for Openflow enabled Networks with 8200 zl Series and 2920 Series Design and Configuration of HP Intelligent Management Center to simplify network monitoring
- Design and Configuration of HP Intelligent Management Center to simplify network monitoring and configuration management.
- Designed a highly complex MPLS Layer 2/Layer 3 network using innovative systems such as SAS-S and SAS-Sx
- Assisted in configuring and testing precision time features, helping to ensure the network operated efficiently and met strict timing requirements.
- Design and Implementation of security gateways based on GenuGate and GenuScreen including Custom ALG rules.
- Building VPN connections with GenuCrypt.
- Design and Implementation of Dual Stack DMZ and large scale Wifi networks.
- Design and Testing on IPv6 only management Networks including RADIUS, SSH, HTTPS Services in a mixed environment.
- Presentation on IPv6 Migration Techniques including Dual-Stack, DS-Lite, NAT64 for Campus and Broadband Networks.
- General LAN and WAN troubleshooting experience with OTDR measurement, Wireshark, tshark, ngrep.
- WiFi RF troubleshooting experience with Fluke Networks tools.
- Transmission network knowledge to work with other teams and combine findings in troubleshooting sessions.
- I’ve regularly provided workshops to my colleagues, a team of 8 people, about current developments in regards to Carrier Networks (mainly Ethernet OAM/MEF), MPLS and IPv6. IPv6 basics and IPv6 LAN basics training was also provided.
- Provided training to colleagues on key DevOps tools including Git, Jenkins, Ansible, and Docker, enabling them to work more efficiently and effectively.
- Provided regular Level 3 training sessions to the Network Operations Center (NOC), ensuring that team members had the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively manage and maintain the network infrastructure.
- German (Native language)
- English (Fluent)
- Juniper JNCIA - Juniper Certified Internet Associate
- Juniper JNCIS-SP - Juniper Networks Certified Specialist, Service Provider Routing Switching
- HE IPv6 Sage
- Juniper JNCIS-SEC - Juniper Networks Certified Specialist Security
- Aruba ACMP - Aruba Certified Mobility Professional
- TrendMicro TCSP Certification: InterScan Web Security Virtual Appliance (IWSVA) 5.1 SP
- Cisco SMB Specialization For Engineers (Cisco 650-195)
- HP OpenView
- Juniper Space
- Juniper NSM
- Several other tools
- Mac OS X
- Aruba (Ethernet, WiFi)
- Nokia (Ethernet, SDH)
- Cisco (Ethernet, WiFi, Voice, Routing, WAN Acceleration, Security)
- Juniper (Routing, Security (ScreenOS), WAN Acceleration)
- Citrix (WAN Acceleration)